Nest thermostat is a product designed by Nest, the company recently acquired by Google early in 2016. The Google Nest Thermostat is part of protect smoke smart alarm systems that have brought revolution in home security. In this review, we explore the product’s design, features, performance, pros, and major cons.
The Nest thermostat design and operational features
When designing this thermostat, Tony Fadell, who is known as the father of iPod for designing it when working at Apple did not leave anything to chance. The thermostat has become the most effective in the market because of its premium sense of style and quality. The product takes a cylindrical shape with an attractive aluminum outlook.
- The thermostat and receivers
The finish of the third generation thermostat looks smooth and flawless. The design is shorter compared to other previous models, but it is stronger because it houses a more sensitive thermostat, two receivers, and proximity sensors. The first receiver utilizes a low-band wireless network to link with the Heat Link. The second receiver is a strong 802.11n Wi-Fi with the capability to connect to the home network router. To make the connection more effective, the Nest Thermostat includes a third feature, a dedicated internet gateway that will require an additional socket.
- The Family accounts & special home assistants
To improve the performance of the Nest Thermostat, Nest added two new features, the family accounts, and home assistants. The family accounts allow users to set individual accounts that make it easy to follow every person’s preference when at home. After the family account is established, it tracks your phone to tell where you are at any time of the day or night.
- Farsight feature
This is a unique addition that allows you to see the target temperatures for the thermostat both in digital and analog models at some distance. With its larger screen, it is possible to spot the time as well as the temperatures at approximately 20 feet.
- The Furnace Heads-up
If your house uses a forced –air furnace system, you will find this feature very helpful. It tracks the number of times that your forced air furnace goes off automatically to avoid overheating. In case the Nest Thermostat senses that there is a danger, you get a direct notification on Nest App.
While outright differences in features between previous installations and Nest Thermostat are evident, the apps and Wi-Fi configuration, usability, and performance are closely similar. Though the installation of the Nest Thermostat is dependent on your house cooling system, the learning model is the easiest to fix and use. Like the previous designs, the 3rd generation operates using Nest Cam as well as Nest Protect to help with various applications automation. It also operates with Amazon Alexa using the Alexa Skills kit. This makes it possible to command the Nest Thermostat with voice. Make sure that the Alexa app is enabled in your smartphone.
Pros and cons of using Nest Thermostat
- The thermostat is intelligent: It learns the patterns of the people in the house and adjusts accordingly depending on those who are present.
- The design is more appealing compared to other models: The round and easy to read model makes the house more attractive and stylish.
- Ease and intuitive learning setup: The additional capability that enhanced the thermostat capable of tracking all members of the family also makes it easy to expand its functionalities.
- Enhanced software support: Nest went to great lengths in ensuring that the thermostat has a unique software support system. Like other Google items, Nest can see all the devices and sends updates to keep the thermostat in top condition.
- The thermostat works very well with other intelligent apps such as Amazon Alexa that makes it easy to configure it using voice commands or change the settings by simply talking to it.
- The Nest Thermostat requires a constant supply of power: This means that in the event of power disruption, it cannot function. It is also impossible to use it in areas without the power connection.
- It lacks the capability to control hot water system: Many people have pointed their disappointment with the device’s inability to control the hot water system. This means that you either have to install a different system or do it manually.